The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) is a highly regarded two year pre-university course that is offered to students throughout the world. The IB Diploma not only provides students with an enhanced academic focus but also provides a curriculum with an international perspective. The Diploma suits highly motivated senior students and is designed to equip candidates with the skills and attitudes necessary for success in higher education and employment.
In 2005, Mountain Creek State High School commenced the IB Diploma as an alternate senior/pre-tertiary curriculum for Year 11 12 students.
International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme Brochure (PDF, 633 KB)
The International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO)
The International Baccalaureate Organisation’s (IBO) goal is to provide students with the values and opportunities that will enable them to develop sound judgement, make wise choices, and respect others in the global community. For further information about the IBO you can visit:
The International Baccalaureate Organisation aims to develop enquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through inter-cultural understanding and respect. To this end the IBO works with schools, governments and international organisations to develop challenging programs of international education.
IBO Mission Statement
Through comprehensive and balanced curricula coupled with challenging assessments, the International Baccalaureate Organization aims to assist schools in their endeavours to develop the individual talents of young people and teach them to relate the experience of the classroom to the realities of the world outside. Beyond intellectual rigour and high academic standards, strong emphasis is placed on the ideals of international understanding and responsible citizenship, to the end that IB students may become critical and compassionate thinkers, lifelong learners and informed participants in local and world affairs, conscious of the shared humanity that binds all people while respecting the variety of cultures and attitudes that makes for the richness of life.
IB Learner Profile
The full profile can be downloaded - IB Learner Profile Brochure (PDF, 430 KB)
What Makes the IB Diploma Different?
- The IB Diploma is a comprehensive two year international curriculum
- The international standard by which the Diploma is assessed is applied equally to all schools
- The Diploma is characterised by a program of rigorous assessment including external examinations
- The Diploma offers students both breadth and depth of study
- The IBDP encourages community service because there is more to learning than academic studies alone
- The IBO maintains high standards by actively training and supporting teachers and by authorizing and evaluating IB World Schools
What Advantages do IB Diploma Holders Have?
IB Diploma holders:
- are well prepared for university work
- develop positive attitudes to learning because students ask challenging questions, learn to critically reflect, develop research skills, and learn how to learn.
- have access to Australia and the world’s leading universities. Many universities including University of Queensland, Griffith University and QUT give students advanced standing because of the rigour associated with the IBDP. For further information on university recognition, view the IBO website or your preferred university's website.
International Relevance of the IB at MCSHS
Not only do our students work with an international curriculum but they are encouraged through thought and action to develop a global perspective and wider cultural understandings. At MCSHS we offer and would encourage all of our IB students to participate in an overseas experience at some time during the three year programme. Some of the trips that have been offered include:
Educational and service trips to Cambodia
Germany - Environmental Studies
Language and Cultural trip to Japan
World Challenge Expedition to Sabah, Sarawak covering all three components of CAS
Our programme by its very nature attracts enrolments from overseas students. We have worked with students from China, Germany, India, New Caledonia, Botswana, Japan, Sri Lanka and United Kingdom.
Our school has links with IB schools in Australia and overseas, including Mexico and Hong Kong. This interaction enhances our students' global understanding and of course adds lively comment to Theory of Knowledge classes.
Under the current legislation, all schools offering the IB Diploma Programme are required to charge a regulated fee. Payment for the IB Diploma Course at this school has been spread over 3 years, including a Preparatory Year 10 Course. The regulated fee includes textbooks and learning resources (similar benefits to the Resource Management Scheme), the cost of IB internal assessment and examination fees.
Students wishing to enrol in the IB Diploma Course can expect to pay approximately $3,500 over the 3 year period (indexed to CPI), plus User Pays Fees. The cost for each year of the course is outlined on individual Subject Selection Forms.